Monday, November 2, 2009

My first few days

Well, my 100 Mile diet commitment started officially yesterday on a Sunday. That was on purpose because I knew I'd need to do some research to even start to get started. I went to Crunican's in North London and found peanut butter made in SWOnt. I had thought I'd need to give that up.
My other adventures weren't quite so successful. I made my first loaf of sourdough bread- I had let it rise overnight and baked it even though it hadn't doubled to twice its size. The flavour was wonderful but it's about a quarter the height it should be. More research needed there, for sure. I also started baking using honey to replace sugar, starting with carrot and then morning glory muffins (I have lots of carrots to use :).
The morning glory muffins were OK, the carrot muffins too moist- I had decreased the heat to 325 from 350 as recommended by an online site on cooking with honey, I think next time I'll try it at 350. My daughter was unimpressed with the not so sweet muffins, perhaps that will mean she'll eat more fruit?
I can see some challenges ahead - my first will be meat- its not so much that meat will be hard to find but instead that my freezer's already full from summer produce. I'll have to think on that.
Next challenges will be things like vanilla, baking soda and powder. I wonder if I can find substitutes in my 100 mi radius?
I'm still excited about this and anxious to explore my 100 mi area to see just what I can find. At the very least, after my initial month experiment ends I'll have found local sources for my most often used meats and vegs. And that has to be good.
Today I'm back to work. My morning cup of tea was from my current stock, I'll see how I feel when that runs out and whether to opt for Fair Trade instead of giving it up. I think that's most likely. One project this week is to research Fair Trade options for spices, tea, coffee and flavour extracts like vanilla.
So far, I'm enjoying this challenge, and thinking of it as adventure at this point. Also wondering about the feasibility of making my own yogurt. I used to many years ago, I don't want to become a zealot with this, but I do want to change everything I can that's reasonably doable, y0ghurt seems like a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment